You can build rights in a mark by authentic or legal use of the mark. However, owning a federally registered trademark would do well to your business. Following are the several advantages you enjoy if your trademark is federally registered.
- Effective notice to the public of the registrant’s claim of the ownership of the trademark.
- A legal identity of the registrant’s ownership of the mark and his right to use the mark throughout the nation in relation with the goods or services mentioned in the registration application.
- The ability to bring an action in the federal court with regard to any infringement of the rights over the mark.
- The right to use the US registration as a ground to obtain registration in foreign countries.
- The right to file the registration with the Customs service to prevent import of infringing foreign goods.